What is in a spill clean-up kit and how do I get one?

Each laboratory or shop area using chemicals must have ready access to the appropriate supplies needed to handle a spill. Safety Data Sheets (formerly Material Safety Data Sheets) can provide details to determine which items may be necessary for the particular chemicals in your area. Refer to your Chemical List (shop areas) or review the chemicals actually in use (Standard Operating Procedures) for laboratories to determine what items are needed.

A typical lab kit might include:

  • Mercury absorb sponges
  • Sorbents appropriate for chemicals present (e.g., kitty litter, spill pads, vermiculite)
  • Neutralizers
  • Dust pan / broom (non-metal)

Generally spill cleanup materials can be purchased from most scientific and safety supply vendors. Please contact the University's CHO at 231-3427 for additional information as needed.

Labs working with infectious biological material must have access to a spill kit which should contain the following:

  • PPE  appropriate for the material (e.g., gloves, tyvek coveralls, booties, N-95 respirator, eye protection)
  • Autoclavable biohazard bags
  • Disinfectant (e.g., chlorine bleach -10,000ppm)
  • Absorbent material  such as paper towels or pads
  • Forceps or brush and dust pan to pick up sharps
  • Sharps container

These items can be purchased (like for chemical supplies) from most scientific and safety supply vendors. For questions, please call Chris Wakley, 231-3361.

For information regarding radiological spill supplies, please contact Donald Conner, 231-5364.