Asbestos O & M Program
The principal objective of the Asbestos O & M Program is to minimize the exposure of building occupants, maintenance and custodial personnel to airborne asbestos fibers by:
- The survey and periodic reassessment of all suspect and known asbestos-containing materials (ACM) to monitor the condition of ACM and ensure that ACM is maintained in an undamaged non-hazardous) condition.
- Ensure the cleanup of asbestos fibers previously released into the atmosphere.
- Training individuals who may encounter ACM during their normal work activities.
- Developing work practices and procedures that will allow renovation, construction or emergency maintenance to be performed safely. These procedures can be found in Section 3.0, Standard Work Practices and Procedures.
This program has been designed to comply with applicable state and federal regulations pertaining to asbestos, and shall remain in force until all ACM has been removed from all university properties.
Background information on asbestos and the health effects related to asbestos exposure can be found in the documents section by clicking on Asbestos Fact Sheet.
< Return to Main Page 2.0 Program Elements >
Valerie Pegues, MPH
EHS Asbestos Program Coordinator
- Call 540.231.2509
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org